Writers @ Work offers an annual Fellowship Competition for emerging writers in fiction, nonfiction, and poetry. Prizes include cash prizes, publication in Quarterly West, and a consultation with prominent editor or agent.
Fellowship Competition manuscripts do not satisfy the writing sample requirements for juried workshops at our annual conference.
- Judging is blind. Names are removed from submissions before they are screened so the screeners and judges have no idea of the author and judge on the quality of the manuscript alone.
- Screening panels are made up of board members and writers from the Salt Lake City writing community.
- Judges are faculty members invited by the board. They are not board members nor are they affiliated with the board.
^Back to top
- Writers who have not yet published a book-length volume of original work with a national press in the genre in which they submit a manuscript may submit work for the fellowship competition.
- Only unpublished work may be submitted. Work will be considered published if it has appeared in any print journal or literary magazine or has appeared in an electronic magazine or journal. Posting work on personal websites is not considered publishing. Please do not submit work from chapbooks or work published by a vanity press. Self-published work (such as a collection of stories, poems, essays, or novel that you print for limited distribution) is acceptable.
- Current or former students who have studied with judges in an accredited degree-granting program or institution are not eligible for the competition.
- Previous winners are not eligible in the genre in which they have won.
- Board members are prohibited from submitting manuscripts during their tenure on the board.
^Back to top
First Place in each category
- Publication in Quarterly West (subject to editorial guidelines)
- A featured reading at the conference
- Full Conference tuition including:
- morning workshops
- afternoon sessions
- a manuscript consultation during the Conference with one of the visiting editors or agents
Honorable Mention in each category
- Tuition for free afternoon session package (value can be applied towards the full Conference tuition).
- A manuscript consultation during the conference with one of the visiting editors or agents.
- Open to all Writers who have not yet had published a book-length volume of original work in the genre in which they compete.
^Back to top