Wednesday, June 5 – Sunday, June 9, 2013 at the Alta Lodge, Alta, Utah.
Writers@Work is pleased to announce its twenty-eighth conference. Located in an intimate mountain setting in the scenic Wasatch Mountains just east of Salt Lake City, the Alta Lodge features fine food, comfortable accommodations and amenities, making it a perfect place for writers, writer/teachers, editors, and agents to come together to share their ideas, craft, and fine writing, and to identify emerging talent. We invite you to join us in this historic setting to create and participate in a community of writers and to celebrate the written word.
Small intensive workshops limited to 16 participants will be led by expert award-winning writers/teachers in fiction, creative nonfiction, and poetry and will meet from 9 a.m. to noon and from 3 to 5 p.m. on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.
- Poetry: “Re/Generation: Making Poems, Unmaking Them, Making Them Anew” taught by Katharine Coles
- Fiction: “The Lie That Tells a Truth” taught by John Dufresne--ONE SEAT LEFT IN THIS WORKSHOP
- Nonfiction: “The Art of Nonfiction” taught by Christopher Merrill–THIS WORKSHOP IS FULL
- Multi-Genre: “The Cross-Section Workshop” taught by Michael Martone
Readings by distinguished faculty and competition winners will be held evenings at 7:30 p.m. All readings are free and open to the public! Open mike sessions for attendees will take place after lunch on Friday and Saturday.
A consultation provides a 30-minute meeting with an editor or agent who has pre-read a submitted manuscript of no more than 7000 words. For a detailed description to help you choose the right consultation, click here.
The manuscript must be:
- No more than 7000 words;
- Double-spaced and in 12-point type;
- Submitted as a .doc, .pdf, or .rtf file using the online Submissions Manager;
- Submitted no later than May 25th, 2013.
Your submission will be available to the consultant before the conference. No hard-copy manuscripts will be forwarded. Consultation times are limited and will be assigned on a first-come/first-served basis. Consultations are optional.
**If you are not registered for the conference, you may register for a consultation with the agent or editor of your choice for $75. Please contact email@example.com to schedule.
- Agent: Nancy Stauffer-Cahoon from Nancy Stauffer Associates;
- Editor: Steve Woodward from Graywolf Press, Minneapolis, MN;
- Visiting Writer: Nicole Walker from Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, AZ.
A panel discussion by the editors and agents is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. Thursday.
Arrival and Departure
Registration and check-in start on Wednesday, June 5, at 10:00 a.m., prior to lunch at 12:00 p.m. Orientations for workshops and for faculty will begin at 2:00 p.m. The conference will close with a Faculty Roundtable at 9:00 a.m. on Sunday morning, followed by the Lodge’s famous celebratory brunch. Check-out time is 3:00 p.m. on Sunday, June 9, 2013. Participants must make their own arrangements for shuttle transportation between the airport and the lodge. Check with Canyon Transportation for shuttle service to and from the Salt Lake City airport.
Housing and Meals
For all participants, meals from Wednesday lunch through Sunday brunch are included in the conference registration fee. A vegetarian and non-vegetarian entree option will be offered at each lunch and dinner.
Conference participants may reserve rooms at the Alta Lodge through Writers@Work when registering, using the Conference Registration form. Rooms will be assigned on a first-come/first-served basis. Those wishing to stay elsewhere may make their own lodging arrangements.
- Without on-site lodging: $675
- With on-site dorm lodging (3-4 persons per room): $770
- With on-site shared lodging (2 persons per room): $820
- With on-site single lodging: $940
All conference tuition options include all meals Wednesday lunch through Sunday Brunch. Rooms are assigned on a first-come/first-served basis.
- Consultation fee will be waived for Early Bird registrants who are paid in full by April 30, 2013.
- If paid during May, the consultation fee is $25.
- After June 1, the consultation fee is $50.
- Consultations for those not registered for the conference are $75.